Friday, December 03, 2004

Exhibition Place vs. Ontario Place

It's been a month of long hours at work, and accordingly it's been a month of low e-mailing and minimal blogging. However, I've been prodded back into action by Marc Weisblott of BLC fame, with the challenge to come up with a few thoughts on the task force to investigate the future of Exhibition Place and Ontario Place.

To be honest, though, I had a hard time deciding what to say on the matter. Even when the call for public submissions came forward in the news, I don't think I actually read much of the article. Both venues are places that are significant uses and attractions that you see all the time on maps, or going past on the GO train, or driving by on the Gardiner or the Lake Shore, and that I've been to a few times (mostly as a kid). But while I know they're there, and can appreciate the fact that they're there, serving a purpose I suppose, I don't really think about them all that often.

I can't remember what the last time I voluntarily went down to either of them just for the sake of going. Sure, I went down to Ontario Place perhaps 2 or 3 years ago, but it was for a work "appreciation day" type of event. I suppose it would be back in 1999, to visit my brother who was working at (interestingly) the BLC. (Also interestingly: my mother also worked a booth at the BLC back in her youth, in the 1960's.) Even in my younger days, the trips to the Ex were almost always primarily for another event — because we had Jays tickets at Exhibition Stadium, or had concert tickets, also at Exhibition Stadium. (Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. Also, the Beach Boys / Chicago, back when I thought Chicago were cool. They did have a cool period, especially their second album, which is exceptional, but I was very misguided on their 80's stuff.) Or later, tickets to a show at the Molson Amphitheatre. But there wasn't really ever enough on its own to really interest me in either case.

I was starting to feel some shame at my nonchalance towards the issue — until I read similar a similar response from Andrew Spicer. I'm not sure, though, if those thoughts are common to a lot of Torontonians — there certainly does seem to be a lot of hype raised around the opening and closing of the CNE, for example. Perhaps it's just that we prefer to focus on more everyday issues (the important stuff — like the design of the Toronto street sign, of course). The idea that, if you are a tourist and want to get an idea of Toronto, you shouldn't head to the CN Tower and the typical tourist locations — you should visit some of Toronto's neighbourhoods and walk its streets.

In that vein, I tried to picture how west-enders (i.e., west end of downtown — not Mississaugans) would feel about those facilities. I certainly enjoyed having an apartment close to the lake this summer out in the east end; a quick walk and I could bike down the Martin Goodman Trail, or walk down the boardwalk, or just sit and read a newspaper in the shade and people-watch. I can't picture doing that as regularly if I lived on Queen or King West. Part of that is the increased distance, and part of that is the barriers of the Lake Shore, Gardiner, and rail corridor. But a good part of that is also the distance across Exhibition Place, which I picture (fairly or not) as being fairly quiet and empty for a good 80 to 90 percent of the year. I suppose that's a way of saying that it would be nice to increase activity in there, particularly in Exhibition Place, to bring that 80-90% down a good deal. I tend to agree with Armchair's assessment that "re-examining the purpose of the two sites would surely mean trying to find a more consistent draw to the area." (I also tend to agree with his thought that the facilities should remain public.)

I'm not sure that co-ordinating or combining the two facilities is as important as simply increasing activity throughout the year. I am reminded of the constant cries to better integrate 905 transit systems with the TTC in a bid to increase ridership. There may be some efficiencies to be had there (for example, eliminating duplicate service along Burnhamthorpe or Dundas), but the real thing that's going to attract more riders is better service — especially faster and more frequent service — not what colour of bus offers the service. (And if you improve the speed and the frequency, the issue of the transfer between the two services becomes much smaller.)

25 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen lots of sites about ecommerce web site hosting but your site is one of the best. Check out my website about website design bathurst

October 18, 2005 at 9:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

image hosting Web Hosting Ecommerce Your source for the latest in the image hosting industry, News, links and latest image hosting developments.

October 25, 2005 at 8:42 AM  
Blogger Infactahost.com said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a free shopping cart php script site/blog. It pretty much covers free shopping cart php script related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

October 25, 2005 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger betterlovemaking said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. There is a lot of useful information about best blog web site in it. We offer Turnkey Websites and Reliable Hosting. We also provide a blogging service that will help your site get indexed fast and keep the search engines visiting your site. Click here for more information about best blog web site.
Thank you
TWP Admin

October 26, 2005 at 6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to visit again! Please feel free to visit my blog too at http://rushprnews.iuplog.com, RushPRnews Daily Gazette.
My site is ** RushPRnews press release services, distribution and free web posting** . Cordially, Anne Laszlo-Howard

October 27, 2005 at 6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blast your Ad to 13,000+ Real Blog Sites!

October 28, 2005 at 5:31 AM  
Blogger ebaypowerseller2006 said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. There is a lot of useful information about professional web hosting in it. We offer Turnkey Websites and Reliable Hosting. We also provide a blogging service that will help your site get indexed fast and keep the search engines visiting your site. Click here for more information about professional web hosting.
Thank you
TWP Admin

October 28, 2005 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger officialloversguide said...

I enjoyed reading your blog. There is a lot of useful information about seo service san diego in it. We offer Turnkey Websites and Reliable Hosting. We also provide a blogging service that will help your site get indexed fast and keep the search engines visiting your site. Click here for more information about seo service san diego.
Thank you
TWP Admin

October 30, 2005 at 4:35 AM  
Blogger WDM Info Services said...

I like your blog, please list it on my favourite Blog Directory.

It has lots of links to blog msnbc.msn.com site blogs

William MacDonald

October 30, 2005 at 9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And A Link Back To Your Web Site Excite You?

October 31, 2005 at 5:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

High Google and Yahoo link popularity can be yours,

November 6, 2005 at 3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greatest Blog Post. Please visit this site on distance long ontario plan
distance long ontario plan

November 14, 2005 at 8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greatest Blog Post. Please visit this site on compare long distance company
compare long distance company

November 14, 2005 at 11:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

Just thought I would check out your blog.
I am new to blogging. I hope you don't mind me posting to your blog. If you are interested in checking out my blog and making a post that would be great.

I have a budget hosting web site/blog. It pretty much covers ##WEB HOSTING## related stuff.


Thanks,
Ed

November 22, 2005 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger kevinfisher6287 said...

I read over your blog, and i found it inquisitive, you may find My Blog interesting. My blog is just about my day to day life, as a park ranger. So please Click Here To Read My Blog

December 30, 2005 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger shawnkline9017 said...

Hey Meet Me Today I'm available in your area tonite GO HERE NOW!

January 9, 2006 at 12:00 AM  
Anonymous Tops said...

www.TheOnlinePromoters.com has everything a webmaster needs to succeed online

January 10, 2006 at 4:53 AM  
Blogger Chicken Soup said...

Chicken Soups here. FICO need a boost? You may have bad credit repair mortgage loan fix repair credit bankruptcy foreclosure equity equifax experian transunion TU dispute but that doesn't mean credit repair can't help. So drink some warm soup and fix your credit. You'll be glad ya did and you can thank me later.

April 29, 2006 at 11:28 PM  
Blogger lisabrinick6835006887 said...

Get any Desired College Degree, In less then 2 weeks.

Call this number now 24 hours a day 7 days a week (413) 208-3069

Get these Degrees NOW!!!

"BA", "BSc", "MA", "MSc", "MBA", "PHD",

Get everything within 2 weeks.
100% verifiable, this is a real deal

Act now you owe it to your future.

(413) 208-3069 call now 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

May 4, 2006 at 8:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

moving new rental truck york

March 19, 2007 at 11:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.adquity.com
Classifieds for our community. Buy, sell, trade, date, events... post anything. Adquity Classifieds.

http://www.adquity.com

March 20, 2007 at 1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://mobetazeda.wtcsites.com/jibopok.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

December 7, 2009 at 6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you really need!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a correct partner who uses your savings in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://mapivyxiq.ibnsites.com/pavepyl.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

December 14, 2009 at 11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

January 5, 2010 at 11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense earning with a sum that usually goes
on daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'll be glad to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

January 26, 2010 at 8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home